2009-01-18

Story About Parenting

When I was learning Korean in Thailand, I heard a lot of stories about parents complaining about their kids not being to speak Korean after having been taking courses for quite a while. How can anyone would be able to speak any language within a few month. According to my teacher, the mother was saying that they were on a trip to Korea and that the daughter couldn't understand anything the Koreans said. Well, I took many private classes, still I was having a freaking hard time when I first arrived here! Wake up, parents!! If you've never been to any foreign land before. My relative, too, is like that. My aunt-in-law was complaining about my having-so-little-sense cousin not doing such and such. First, I wanna say that the girl has no sense, correct, but being here is not so easy like that. She doesn't speak the language, nor that she knows what to do with her life. Not knowing what to say, you can't just do something on your own, either by walking here and there alone. The kids who learn Korean themselves, too, think that they're good enough, but there's no such thing as "good enough" when it comes to foreign language. A sense of learning language, too, is important. Some people learn something a lifetime, and won't be able to speak correctly. The accent, too, is hard to change. After meeting my beginner cousin for a few times, I became irrtated by the fact that she's a koo-koo. I always say that people whom I speak to are classified into groups, based on my sense of associating. This girl, my own same-age sister cousin, is in group 2 or 3. The more the number, the more I keep the person far from me. Should she be a man, she'd be put in group 3 for sure, just 아는 사람 meaning the person I know (not close to, not a friend, just someone I know!) ...

Talking to her reminds me of that momzilla I talked about above. 'Coz I couldn't see her future in studying Korean. I try too many times to picture myself back then, as a beginner, but I can't. Everything is different, even the smallest bit of me is very far apart from her. Personality and all. I'd say that in a way my sister cousin is a careless person, not literally careless, but careless nonetheless. Sometimes more like a could-care-less person, blank and bolt.

Anyway, I can tell you about her all day, but the thing I wanna say is to those momzillas out there. The ones think, foolishly, that their kids would be able to speak some foreign languages within month. Hey! Missy!! We can't even speak English correctly!!! Wake up!!!! Thai people learn English all their lives, still cannot understand the westerners.

No need to ask about Korean...

No comments:

Post a Comment